About Me

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Oh Mother!



You fashioned me with tender love and utmost care,
Woke me up with the musical chirpings spreading through the air,
Gave me fruits of varied tastes and many a companions in animals,
And I leaped jumped and played in happiness in the jungles
And when night fell, you sang to me through the lovely whispers of the wind
You rocked me into sleep wrapping warm blankets of flowers,helping me unwind


I built sand castles in the lap of your beach
Magnified them and started living a little out of your reach
But you were proud, for I had found something mine, a creative lil hobby
One day,I who never plucked a bud hitherto, axed a flowery tree for my luxury
You squinched but forgave me, thinking it was just an innocent gaffe
Though worrying that I might be turning this heaven into a riffraff


And I went on and hunted my brethren, my dear animals,
You stared, shocked and appalled at how easily I could kill my own pals
built something emitting black smokes, a machine I called it, choking you further
You coughed and I ignored, you bled and I didn’t even bother
But again you forgave me thinking it was just a brutal chapter
Though it hurt you, you were patient; you waited for me to change, to alter


I wasn’t paying heed to any of your pains
You understood that all I wanted was control over your reins
Then you showed your fury-shook the earth, wrought floods in the ocean
I was scared and vowed to take care but forgot all about it, yet another treason
Building many, polluting more, ruining most
You were counting my mistakes, I didn’t know, for I was a mad ghost


One day when I woke up, all I could hear were unpleasant cries
The changes brought about had suddenly hit me between my eyes
There was only the ruthlessness of sunrays burning my face
The harshness of wind cutting my skin, not a thing to embrace
Diseases, plague, pestilence spreading like wildfires
Stench, dirt, dust accompanied them as faithful squires


Not one twitter I could hear, not one sweet note I could listen to
Not one sweet blossom I could smell, not one fragrance I could drown into
Not one brother I could play with, not one leaping deer I could see
The vultures of my fate were circling above me
Where has everything gone? I was ignorantly trying to find my lost treasure
Everything has been taken away; the realization was more agonizing than a seizure


I saw your waters turn blood red, swelling and ebbing
I heard the wind’s howling, gasps of your weeping
I saw the volcano bursting with the hurt you gulped down, blistering for revenge
I felt the sky above me thundering, ready to avenge
I felt land beneath me trembling in shame and disappointment
Disappointment for carrying a child, bearing everything for it like a peasant


The realization has hit too late, I cry for the flora and the fauna, Oh mother!
And above all I cry for your comforting lap Mother!
Now I’ve learnt my lesson, please give me another chance
Please let me snuggle in your protective expanse
My heart yearns for your love, kindness, for everything that you’re Mother,
Punish me but don’t throw me away from your feet Mother!!


Oh Mother!
Have mercy Oh Mother!

1 comment:

  1. ''Not one twitter I could hear, not one sweet note I could listen to
    Not one sweet blossom I could smell, not one fragrance I could drown into
    Not one brother I could play with, not one leaping deer I could see
    The vultures of my fate were circling above me'' Some of your best lines!! I loved this poem! Apt thought..and very well written! I think its your best for how u sustained a high level of control over the reader over a fairly lengthy poem!

    ReplyDelete